Wednesday, September 5, 2012

School Is In Session

Yesterday was our first day of school for this year. We are so excited about this school year. We spent many months reading and investigating learning and teaching styles and curriculum and which would be the best fit for my girls. This is our first full year homeschooling. Last year my youngest daughter started out in a Christian school but was having so many health problems that we started homeschooling her. This has been the best decision ever. At first my oldest daughter asked if she had to homeschool as well. I told her no that she didn't have to. We wanted her to be wherever was best for her. After a few months she started asking if she could homeschool as well. I asked her what changed her mind. She replied that when I teach her she gets it. She started struggling due to adhd. She is a very intelligent young lady. We prayed about what would be best for her and knew that homeschooling was the answer. So here we are.
One of the changes that I have noticed in my girls since we started homeschooling is the excited in learning. They want to learn and take every moment to learn something new. They are kinesthetic learners who love to move and learn by doing. Yesterday during lunch they asked "Can we play a math game, please?" My response? "Of coarse, I'm never going to tell you no.
We went for a mile walk for PE yesterday. We took our dog, who loves that we are home all day! We have a park in our neighborhood so the girls played at it for a few minutes. Since no one else was there, our dog was able to go on the slide with them, which he actually love to do. He's a silly boy!
Today, our second day, was a great day as well. The girls worked really hard today and really enjoyed it and told me that I am their favorite teacher.  Our English was a bit of review and  involved some Dictionary work. I absolutely love our English curriculum. I found out about this curriculum from the Christian school that the girls went to last year. This is the only curriculum that we kept the same from last year.
 We started our school day with a devotion about Eve and ended our school day with reading from Genesis 1. We then drew in our journals how we "saw" what was read. This is Sweetpea's Bible journal.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment