Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Nines Multiplication Tool

Peanut is working on memorizing the multiplication table. My daughters, just like me, struggle with pure memorization so we've been using different stories and techniques to help her memorize them.There are some facts that are easy and some that are really tough. Many of you may know the fingers trick for the nines. I showed this trick to Peanut but being very visual she needed to see the numbers so I came up with this tool for her. It worked!
So here's how it works. You ask the child what 9 times any number from 1 to 10 is. For example, what is 9 x 7? You flip up 7 and the answer is revealed! 9 x 7 = 63. This works for 9 x (1 through 10) because the first number of the product (answer) is the number before the non-nine factor (in this case the factor is 7 so the first number in the product is 6)
I color - coded the numbers in the product so that it would pop-out. I used a sheet of 8 1/2" by 11" card stock and folded it in half length-wise. Then I measured out 10 equal parts for the numbers and cut the flaps. After, I numbered each flap 1 through 10 and the bottom layer (under the flaps) 9 through 0. I glued the top half where I wrote "9 x __ = __". Once I finished I showed it to Peanut and she loves it. She has memorized her 9s and enjoys practicing with this tool.
Thanks for reading! Let's make math fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment