Friday, February 10, 2012

Valentine Crayon Hearts

 

As a child, I loved making hand-made Valentine cards for my classmates. I still love making Valentine's cards but now they're for my favorite people, my hubby and two amazing daughters. My daughters are carrying on the tradition of hand made Valentine cards.
Lucy and I went to our homeschooling PSP's Valentine party today. The children had a card exchange. So, of coarse, we wanted to make fun Valentine's cards. Last week, I saw a great idea for cards. Lucy decided that it would be fun to make them. We found out that she needed to bring 40 cards so we knew that it was going to take a little while but it would be fun.
Do you have a bunch of broken up crayons? If you are a mom, I'm sure that you do.

So how about making Valentine Crayon Hearts?
What you'll need:
1. crayons
2. silicone heart baking mold
3. oven
4. x-acto knife (optional)
Step 1:  Remove the wrappers. Some wrappers slip off easily while others don't. For those stubborn ones, use an x-acto knife and slice the wrapper and it can be removed easily.
Step 2: Break or cut the crayons into small pieces
or you can put the crayons in a bag and smash them with a hammer.... my girlies chose this route.

Step 3: Put the broken crayons into the heart mold. You need enough to completely cover the bottom.

Step 4: Bake in a 230 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until all of the crayons are melted. (The smaller you make the pieces of crayon, the faster they melt.)

Step 5: Cool until completely hardened. (We put ours into the freezer to speed up the process.)
Step 6: Once hardened, remove from the molds.
Here are a few of the Valentine Crayon Hearts we made.

And a few more.
We loved making these! And yes, we made 40 of them. Well, actually a few more than 40. All of the children in Lucy's class (and the moms) thought that they were a great idea.
My girlies (and I) have decided that they (we) want to make more this weekend. They definately are a fun craft to make. We thought about getting different shape silicon molds and making different shaped colorful crayons.They are pretty plus they do color. Let me know if you make these.
Thanks for reading and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment