Sunday, February 26, 2012

Churning Butter

We have been reading "Little House In The Big Woods" and comparing that era with ours. We have been discussing how we would have liked to live back then and also some of the hardships of then and what we would miss from now. We definately like the simplicity back then.
In Chapter two Laura, Mary and Ma made butter from the cream from their cows. We've made butter many times by shaking cream in a small jar. We have a butter churn that has been in my family since it was made. We hadn't used it but thought that we would give it a try today.
Lucy pouring in the cream
We thought that we would start small. We used a half gallon of cream and began churning.
My girlies started churning but only lasted a few minutes each. Then it was my turn. I churned for 20 minutes and check out what our cream turned into. 
We scraped down the sides, strained the contents and got...

two containers of butter and about a quart of buttermilk. We all tried the buttermilk and it actually tastes pretty good. We also enjoyed our freshly made butter on crackers and bread. Too bad we didn't make our own bread today to put the butter on. For any of you who are I Love Lucy fans, like I am, "homemade bread with home-churned butter".
thanks for reading.



2 comments:

  1. Now that was a loaf of bread of epic proportions! :) The churning looks like it was fun (but somewhat exhausting).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that that was a real loaf of bread baked by a local baker. It was fun churning. We decided that I would've been a strong pioneer woman. haha. Thanks for always being my faithful reader, Brit!

      Delete